Icons are used in the Eastern Orthodox Church to focus worshippers' prayers. Their form and function have hardly changed over the last fifteen centuries and their spiritual message is retained even in a museum setting. This exhibition displayed Greek and Russian icons from the Picture Gallery and the Ashmolean Museum which are normally not on view. Among them were St George and the Dragon from around 1500 which has recently been cleaned and restored to its former splendour and two Ashmolean fragments from a large Last Judgement, which are certainly the most important Russian icons preserved in Oxford. Further works, given to Christ Church in 1980 by C. R. Patterson provided an overview of Russian religious art in the imperial period.
Click here to read a review of the exhibition.
Russian, 19th century
Madonna of the Sign
|Sacred Faces Exhibition Guide.pdf||862.27 KB|
Registered Charity Number: 1143423