Date of birth: 30 June 1892
Date of death: 30 October 1914
Killed in action aged 22
no known grave
Arthur Herbert Rosdew was the eldest son of Colonel Charles Rosdew Burn, MP for Torquay 1910-23, ADC to King George V 1910-26, and Ethel Louise Forbes-Leith, daughter of the Baron Leith of Fyvie. They had homes at 77 Cadogan Square, London SW and Stoodley Knowle, Torquay.
Educated at Ludgrove and Eton he went up to Christ Church in 1911. He was a member of the Bullingdon and Bachelors’ Clubs. He obtained his commission as a University candidate on 2 September 1913 and was Gazetted 2nd Lieutenant
1st (Royal) Dragoons 26 August 1914. He served with the Expeditionary Force in France and Flanders and was killed in action at Hollebeke.
He is commemorated on Panel 5 at the Menin Gate. (The Bond of Sacrifice)
Colonel Burn was created a Baronet in 1923 and in 1926 changed the family name to that of his wife. [Burkes’s Peerage.]
“As the war progressed Torquay began to see the effects of it, and in August 1914, the Red Cross Hospital opened in the Town Hall with 50 beds and the first convoy of wounded arrived on 21 October 'when a hospital-train arrived at Torre Station with eight British officers and 40 wounded men from France'.
The officers went to Stoodley Knowle, owned by Torquay's MP Colonel Burn, but they were greeted by the Hon. Mrs Burn and Miss Burn" who were attired as Red Cross nurses". The Hon Mrs Burn was twice mentioned in Despatches as Commandant & Matron of Stoodley Knowle Hospital.
“In addition to Stoodley Knowle other war hospitals were set up at the Mount (but later moved to Rockwood); the Manor House (Lady Layland Barratt); Lyncourt (Hon. Helen Cubitt) and the "Western Hospital for Consumptives". There was also a home at Royden, described as a "Convalescent Home for Blinded Soldiers and Sailors". In the latter part of the year during November, Queen Mary visited the Town Hall and Oldway Mansions while visiting injured servicemen.”
History of Torquay on Wikipedia
Registered Charity Number: 1143423