Date of birth: 19 August 1871
Date of death: 9 January 1917
Killed in action aged 45
Buried at C. 40 in the Kantara War Memorial Cemetery on the Sinai side of the Suez Canal
Henry Francis was the son of Henry James and Annie Clifford of Frampton Court, Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. The Clifford family had owned the Frampton estate since the eleventh century.
He was educated at Haileybury 1885-1888, then at Christ Church. He became a JP and Churchwarden.
He served in the South African Campaign (1900-01) with the Gloucestershire Imperial Yeomanry, and was commissioned in the field. He was awarded the South Africa Queen's Medal with 3 clasps (Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittebergen) having been wounded in the O.F.S. His father died shortly afterwards and he returned to Frampton to run his estate. He married Adelaide Hilda Clay on 12 November 1913 at St. Peter’s Eaton Square.
At the outbreak of war, he returned to his regiment, the Gloucestershire Yeomanry with the rank of Major “B” Squadron 1st Royal Gloucestershire Hussars. He was killed in action at Rafa (at that time in Egypt and now in the Gaza Strip).
In 1920, a memorial tablet to him was unveiled in Frampton Church.
His Estate amounted to £62,543 12s 5d. Probate granted to his widow.
His only child, Henrietta Hilda Elizabeth Clifford was born on April 8 1917. Heir to the Frampton Estate, she married Major Peter Haggie. In 1941, on the birth of their son, David, the Haggie family changed their name by deed poll, to that of Clifford and in 1953 a Royal Licence was granted allowing Major Peter Clifford to bear the arms of Clifford. Their second son, Peter Roland Henry (Rollo), continues the line.
Registered Charity Number: 1143423