Born: October 9th 1883
Died: May 3rd 1942
Patrick was the eighth child and fifth son of Patrick Munro and his wife, Mary Helen Catherine Dormond. The family came from Scotland and in 1891 were living in Knaresborough. His father was Secretary to a life assurance company.
He was educated at Leeds Grammar School and Matriculated in 1902. He won an Open History Scholarship and graduated with 2nd class Honours. He was a Rugby Blue, playing for the University in 1903, 1904 and Captaining in 1905.He was also awarded a Half Blue for High Jump in 1906 and was President of Vincent’s Club in 1906-07.
He was capped for Scotland thirteen times between 1905 and 1911 and played International for Scotland in 1905, 1906, 1907 and 1911, being Captain in 1907 and 1911. He was President of the Scottish Rugby Union for the 1939-40 season. He also played for London Scottish.
He joined the Sudan Political Service in 1907, and was Governor of Darfur Province in 1923-1924 and Governor of Khartoum Province from 1925-1929. He was awarded the Order of the Nile (3rd Class) in 1929
On October 2nd 1911, he married Jessie Margaret Martin at St. John’s Church, Paddington. She was a daughter of Edward Pritchard Martin of The Hill, Abergavenny and General Manager of the Dowlais Iron Works. He had died the previous year, and her brother, Charles, gave her away. He had been up at Magdalen at the time Patrick Munro was at Christ Church and one may presume that is how they had met. Charles was killed in 1915.
Patrick served in the war and was Mentioned in Despatches in 1919.
Returning to England, he was elected Conservative Member of Parliament for Llandaff and Barry in 1931 and held the seat until his death. He was Parliamentary Private Secretary to Captain Euan Wallace who was Under-Secretary of State for the Home Department in 1935 and was an Assistant Whip in 1937. He joined the government as a Junior Lord of the Treasury in 1937, serving until his death.
He was a Private in the Home Guard and died whilst on duty in Westminster, on May 3rd 1942.
He is buried in the churchyard of St. Michael’s, Cathedine, Blwch. Brecknockshire where he had a home.