MChem (Oxford 2000-4), PhD (Cambridge 2004-8), DPhil (Oxford 2013, incorp.)
Senior Research fellow with Professor Andrew D. Hamilton FRS, Junior Research Fellow at Pembroke College and Lady Margaret Hall, Lecturer in Organic Chemistry.
Exeter College, Oxford; MChem (Matriculated 2000, graduated 2004), John Darrel Scholarship (2000-04, reg. charity number 528284)
St. Edmund’s College, Cambridge; PhD (Matriculated 2004, graduated 2008)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow with Professor Steve G. Davies (Dept. Chemistry, Oxford; 2009)
Junior Research Fellow in Chemistry, Pembroke College, Oxford, (2009 - current)
Lecturer/course coordinator in Organic Chemistry, Doctoral Training Centre, Oxford (2009 - current)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow with Professor Andrew D. Hamilton FRS, Dept. Chemistry, Oxford (2010 - 2013)
Tutor in Organic Chemistry, St. Peter’s College, Trinity College (2010-11 & 2012-13), St Edmund Hall (2010-11)
Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford (2011-12)
Junior Research Fellow in Chemistry, Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford (2012 - current)
Senior Research Fellow with Professor Andrew D. Hamilton FRS, Dept. Chemistry (June 2013 - current)
Member of Congregation (2013 - current)
Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, Keble College, Oxford (2013 - current)
Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, Christ Church, Oxford (2013 - current)
Supramolecular/Organic Chemistry applied to problems in chemistry, biology and medicine.
1. Goncalo J. L. Bernardes, Elizabeth J. Grayson, Sam Thompson, Justin M. Chalker, James C. Errey, Farid El Oualid, Timothy D. W. Claridge, Benjamin G. Davis – ‘From disulfide- to thioether-linked glycoproteins’. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2008, 47, pp. 2244-2247 and Angew. Chem., 2008, 120, pp. 2276-2279.
2. Eleanor E. Maciver, Sam Thompson, Martin D. Smith – ‘Catalytic Asymmetric 6p Electrocyclization: Enantioselective Synthesis of Functionalized Indolines’. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2009, 48, pp. 9979-9982 and Angew. Chem., 2009, 121, pp. 10,164-10,167.
Highlighted: (a) Jose L. Vicario, Dolores Badia – ‘Enantioselective 6p electrocyclizations: pushing the limits in organocatalytic pericyclic reactions’. ChemCatChem, 2010, 2, pp. 375-378.
(b) Benjamin List, Frank Lay – ‘Catalytic Asymmetric 6p Electrocyclizations’. Synfacts, 2010, 02, pp. 0225.
3. Sam Thompson, Anthony G. Coyne, Peter C. Knipe, Martin D. Smith – ‘Asymmetric Electrocyclic Reactions’. Chem. Soc. Rev., 2011, 40, pp. 4217-4231.
4. Sam Thompson, Ramakrishnan Vallinayagam, Marc J. Adler, Richard T.W. Scott, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘Double-Sided Alpha-Helix Mimetics’. Tetrahedron, 2012, 68, pp. 4501-4505.
5. Sam Thompson, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘Amphiphilic a-helix mimetics based on a benzoylurea scaffold’. Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, pp. 5780-5782.
6. Charlotte L. Sutherell, Sam Thompson, Richard T.W. Scott, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘Aryl-linked imidazolidin-2-ones as non-peptidic β-strand mimetics’. Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, pp. 9834-9836.
Highlighted: Robert A. Hill, Andrew Sutherland – ‘Hot off the press’. Nat. Prod. Rep., 2012, 29, pp. 1377-1381.
7. Philip C. Simister, James Luccarelli, Sam Thompson, Daniel H. Appella, Stephan M. Feller, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘Novel inhibitors of a Grb2 SH3C domain interaction identified by a virtual screen’. Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2013, 21, pp. 4027-4033.
8. James Luccarelli, Sam Thompson, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘SH3 domains as drug targets’. Methods and Principles in Medicinal Chemistry: Protein-Protein Interactions in Drug Discovery, 2013, Weinheim: Wiley-VCH.
9. Oleg V. Kulikov, Sam Thompson, Hai Xu, Christopher D. Incarvito, Richard T.W. Scott, Ishu Saraogi, Laura Nevola, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘Design and synthesis of oligoamide-based double a-helix mimetics’. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2013, pp. 3407 (cover art) & pp. 3433-3445.
10. Nicola Laurieri, James E. Egleton, Amy Varney, Cyrille C. Thinnes, Camilo E. Quevedo, Peter T. Seden, Sam Thompson, Fernando Rodrigues-Lima, Julien Dairou, Angela J. Russell, Edith Sim – ‘A Novel Color Change Mechanism for Breast Cancer Biomarker Detection: Naphthoquinones as Specific Ligands of Human Arylamine N-Acetyltransferase 1’. PLoS ONE 2013, 8, e70600.
As corresponding author:
11. Guest Editor of a special edition of 42 articles including the following profile article:
Sam Thompson, Andrew J. Wilson, Alan R. Battersby – ‘In celebration of the 60th birthday of Professor Andrew D. Hamilton FRS’. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2013, 11, pp. 6236-6241.
12. Laura Nevola, Johanna M. Rodriguez, Sam Thompson, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘Super-secondary structure peptidomimetics: design and synthesis of an a-a hairpin motif analogue’. Supramol. Chem. 2013, 25, pp. 586-590.
13. Madura K. P. Jayatunga, Sam Thompson, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘α-Helix mimetics: Outwards and Upwards’. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2014, 24, pp. 717-724.
14. Hannah Lingard, Jeongmin Han, Amber L. Thompson, Richard T. W. Scott, Sam Thompson, Andrew D. Hamilton – ‘Diphenylacetylene-linked peptide strands induce bi-directional b-sheet formation’. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2014, doi: 10.1002/anie.201309353 and Angew. Chem. 2014, 10.1002/ange.201309353.
Sport, history, politics.
Registered Charity Number: 1143423