Blue Book Section III: Studying at Christ Church

The Academic Year

The academic year at Oxford is divided into three terms. Within each term, a ‘Full Term’ of eight weeks is the main teaching period for most subjects. The weeks of term are generally referred to as 1st Week, 2nd Week etc., and each Week begins on a Sunday. The week before the start of term is known as 0th Week, and the week after the end of term as 9th Week. See the University website for term dates.

Students should also read the Residence section of the University Student Handbook to ensure that they are aware of the length of time they should be resident in Oxford, and the specified distance from the University within which they are required to live in order to be eligible to receive a degree. The College also has residence requirements which are set out below. 

Course Regulations

It is essential that all students familiarise themselves with the regulations of their courses, as detailed in the Examination Regulations and the appropriate Course Handbook. Students should contact the relevant Departmental Administrator if they do not have access to their Course Handbook. All arrangements for the study of optional papers must be made in consultation with College subject tutors. The College cannot be held responsible where a student has, without consultation, studied an illegal combination of papers.

Annual Registration

All Junior Members must register with the University at the beginning of each academic year. New students will be sent an activation code and log-in details by email once they have returned their University Card Form. Returning students will be sent a reminder to log-in to the Student Self Service website once the registration window opens. Registration must be completed by Friday of 1st Week of term. All students must ensure that their personal information and contact details are always kept up-to-date on Student Self Service. It is particularly important that Junior Members verify that their name is correct on their Student Record, as it will appear on all University documentation (e.g. degree certificate), and that students living out of College supply their address. 


All new Junior Members, including exchange students, entering into their first degree at Oxford are required to attend Matriculation. Matriculation confers membership of the University, and is a requirement for entering into University examinations. More information about when Matriculation takes place, and the types of courses for which students must be matriculated, can be found on the University website. Students are required to wear Academic Dress for matriculation, along with University examinations and Degree Ceremonies.

The Matriculation ceremony in 2022 will take place on 14th October. Further details will be sent to matriculating students. Information about matriculation ceremonies in Hilary and Trinity Terms, for students who begin their course in those terms, will be issued directly to the Junior Members concerned.

Academic work in term and vacation

Christ Church has many roles, but above all it is an academic institution. Its main purpose is to encourage learning and critical enquiry, and members must not jeopardise that aim. The main method of instruction within the College is by tutorials and classes, and they form a central part of an undergraduate course. Attendance at tutorials and proper preparation for them as laid down by Tutors is an absolute obligation. An undergraduate who finds it impossible to attend at the scheduled time must contact the Tutor in advance. Tutorials are sometimes replaced or supplemented by College or University classes. Attendance at such classes is also compulsory. Any undergraduate who fails to attend tutorials or to work satisfactorily will be reported to the Senior Censor.

  1. All students are expected to devote the majority of their time, in both term and vacation, to academic study for their courses at Christ Church. Undergraduates are required to obtain written permission from their subject tutors before taking on or applying to take on any major extracurricular commitment that might detract from their academic work, such as office-holding in the College or the University, or the organisation of College or University clubs or societies. The potential impact on academic work of other extra-curricular activities e.g. outreach activities, or taking part in plays, concerts, sports, or time-consuming voluntary work, should also be carefully considered and discussed with tutors; written permission may also be needed in these cases. All members are expected to work to the best of their ability. All undergraduates are reminded that academic work is expected of them in every vacation, and it should take priority over other commitments. It is recognised that financial pressures may make vacation employment necessary, but undergraduates should consult their Tutors before undertaking such work.

    Term-time employment is not permitted except under exceptional circumstances and after consultation with the relevant Tutor and the Senior Censor. Junior Members are also not permitted to conduct any form of business or profit-making activity using the College as a business address.

  2. Surreptitious recording of tutorials, classes or lectures is regarded as dishonest behaviour and a breach of College rules. This includes teaching done virtually via video calls and online platforms.
  3. Undergraduates have applied to pursue a given course at Christ Church and there is an expectation that they pursue that course when they arrive. Requests to change course will only be approved in exceptional circumstances, and any such request is subject to the agreement of the Tutors in the ‘importing’ subject and to any conditions they may set (this may include the requirement that the undergraduate completes the First Public Examination in the subject for which they have applied). Such a request should initially be made to the undergraduate’s Personal Tutor who will contact the Senior Censor if they support the request.
  4. End-of-term Collections (i.e. academic meetings at the end of term) are important elements in the College’s academic monitoring and support procedures. Once a year, undergraduates are required to appear for such a Collection, at which Subject Tutors report on the undergraduate’s work to the Censor Theologiae and the Senior Censor, who has academic oversight of all Junior Members. Meetings at the end of the other two terms normally take place with just Subject Tutors. Details of the arrangements are emailed to attendees in advance. Most graduate students are required to appear for Graduate Collections, with the Censor Theologiae and Tutor for Graduates, once each year; arrangements are announced by email in advance.
  5. In addition to weekly tutorials and classes, Junior Members may comment upon their own progress and bring academic problems they may be experiencing to the attention of the College in a variety of ways including:
    1. termly feedback forms (these include a provision for making a confidential return that is not seen by Subject Tutors);
    2. end-of-term and Subject Tutors’ Collections at the end of term, or Graduate Collections; and
    3. by appointment with the Senior Censor or Tutor for Graduates.

Feedback forms are circulated to undergraduates before Collections and should be returned to the Academic Office once complete. Enquiries relating to these may be addressed to the Academic Office

Academic Obligations

All Junior Members are required to fulfil certain obligations while studying at Christ Church, which include: maintaining good academic standing, satisfying their particular course requirements, completing the University’s annual registration process, checking their mail and email regularly, and following the guidelines set out by the University about paid work.

Criteria for good academic standing

An undergraduate (including 2nd BA) is of good academic standing as long as they:

  1. keep the residence requirements laid down by the University and the College (see below)
  2. pass at the first attempt  the First Public Examination or other examinations laid down by the University as a necessary part of their course (see University Examinations). Those whose performance in the First Public Examination is particularly weak will have this fact reported to the Censors by their Tutors;
  3. attend all tutorials, classes and other required academic engagements, except where permission on adequate grounds is obtained, normally in advance, from the Tutor(s) concerned;
  4. produce assignments (essays, problem sheets, etc.) and sit Collections (College examinations) with the regularity required by the Tutor(s), except where permission on adequate grounds is obtained, normally in advance, from the Tutor(s) concerned; and
  5. produce work of an appropriate standard, given the undergraduate’s particular level of academic ability, i.e. is working to their potential. Undergraduates are expected to work consistently at at least Upper Second Class level (i.e. marks above 60%). The aim of the College is that no one should be admitted to read for a degree who is not thought by the Tutors concerned to be capable of obtaining an Upper Second Class or better.

If an undergraduate fails to fulfil the criteria for good academic standing, academic disciplinary procedures may be initiated. See Appendix B for the Academic Disciplinary Procedure.

Residence requirements

All full-time matriculated students are subject to residency requirements set by the University. Students should refer to the University website to ensure that they are aware of the length of time that they are required to be resident in Oxford, and the specified distance from the University within which they are required to live. The webpage also contains information about the circumstances under which a student can apply for dispensation from the residency requirements. Non-matriculated students are exempt from the University residence requirements. In addition to the University residency requirements, all Christ Church students must ensure that they follow the College’s residence requirements, which are set out below.

All students, except for undergraduates who have extended terms (as stated on the University website) are required to return into residence by 15:00 on Thursday of 0th Week each term, and then to reside in Oxford until the end of 8th Week. Undergraduates who have extended terms are required to be in residence for those dates. Special arrangements are made for Freshers arriving for their first term. Undergraduates who have extended terms are required to be in residence for those dates. Any absence from Oxford during the period an undergraduate is required to be in residence, including as a result of late return, requires permission from the Subject Tutors and the Junior Censor (to be sought via the Academic Office). Such permission must be obtained in advance unless extraordinary circumstances prevent this, in which case an explanation should be provided to both the Subject Tutors and the Junior Censor (via the Academic Office) as soon as is practicable. Outside Full Term, Junior Members will be charged only for the periods in which they are signed in as resident.

  1. Any undergraduate who has exceptional reason to go down (leave) for the vacation before the end of Full Term, or to miss Collections or any other academic commitment, must first obtain their Tutor’s consent and then apply for permission from the Junior Censor (via the Academic Office).
  2. Both graduates and undergraduates who live in College must vacate their room and hand in their room keys at the Porters’ Lodge no later than 09:30 before leaving at the end of term, and present their University Card for scanning. It is the personal responsibility of all members to ensure that the dates of residence and absence are correctly recorded.


Plagiarism is the copying or paraphrasing of other people’s work or ideas into one’s own work without full acknowledgement. All published and unpublished material, whether in manuscript, printed or electronic form, is covered under this definition. The College and the University regard plagiarism as a serious disciplinary offence. Junior Members suspected of plagiarism in their College work will be referred to the Senior Censor under the Academic Disciplinary Procedures. All students must read the University’s guidance on what constitutes plagiarism. Students should also consult their course handbook and Subject Tutor for specific advice. The University’s Disciplinary Regulations relating to plagiarism are reproduced below:

No candidate shall cheat or act dishonestly, or attempt to do so, in any way, whether before, during or after an examination, so as to obtain or seek to obtain an unfair advantage in an examination.

No candidate shall present for an examination as their own work any part or the substance of any part of another person’s work.

In any written work (whether thesis, dissertation, essay, coursework, or written examinations) passages quoted or closely paraphrased from another person’s work must be identified as quotations or paraphrases, and the source of the quoted or paraphrased material must be clearly acknowledged.

These regulations make it clear that students must always indicate to the examiners when they have drawn on the work of others; other people’s original ideas and methods should be clearly distinguished from their own, and other people’s words, illustrations, diagrams, etc. should be clearly indicated regardless of whether they are copied exactly, paraphrased, or adapted. Failure to acknowledge sources by unambiguous citation and referencing constitutes plagiarism. The University reserves the right to use software applications to screen any individual’s submitted work for matches either to published sources or to other submitted work. Any such matches respectively might indicate either plagiarism or collusion. Although the use of electronic resources by students in their academic work is encouraged, remember that the regulations on plagiarism apply to online material and other digital material just as much as to printed material.

Guidance about the use of source materials and the preparation of written work is given in departments’ literature and on their websites, and is explained by Tutors and Supervisors. If any Junior Member is unclear about how to take notes or use web-sourced material properly, or what is acceptable practice when writing an essay, project report, thesis, etc., they should ask for advice.

If University Examiners believe that material submitted by a candidate may be plagiarised, they will refer the matter to the Proctors. The Proctors will suspend a student’s examination while they fully investigate such cases (including interviewing the student). If they consider that a breach of the Disciplinary Regulations has occurred, the Proctors are empowered to refer the matter to the Student Disciplinary Panel. Where plagiarism is proven, it will be dealt with severely: in the most extreme cases, this can result in the student’s career at Oxford being ended by expulsion from the University.

Information about the disciplinary procedures that the Proctors will follow in cases of suspected plagiarism can be found in Section 7 of the University Student Handbook.  

Copying and copyright

If you wish to copy material, you must comply with current legislation, as set out in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.  The following statutory regulations relating to copyright are summarised from both the detailed provisions of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, and notes of guidance from the Society of Authors and the Publishers Association on the interpretation of the rules contained in the Act:

Single copies

A single copy, in any format, of copyright material may be made for private study, provided that no more than a ‘reasonable proportion’ is copied. This may be interpreted as follows:

  • One copy of one article in a serial publication such as the issue of a journal, or in a set of conference proceedings, or in a collective work (other than a poem, short story or other literary work in a collection of such works).
  • One copy of one complete chapter from a book.  Poems embedded in a chapter of a book may be treated as part of the chapter.
  • One copy of one case report from a law report.
  • Up to 5% of a physical volume of any of the above (which may be greater than one article, chapter or report, or may include extracts from more than one such article, chapter or report).
  • One short story or poem in a collective work, up to ten pages in length.
  • An area of a map equivalent to an A4 sheet.
  • Up to 5% of a sound recording.
  • Up to 5% of a film.
  • A short excerpt from a musical work, provided it is not for performance purposes.

Single copies must not be shared. You may not email it to others, post it on social media or distribute print copies.

Multiple copies (e.g. class sets) of copyright material may not be made without licence, or other prior permission of the publisher: payment may have to be made.

Electronic resources

All users of electronic resources must comply with both the copyright law and publishers' licence terms. The following activities are prohibited by most electronic resource licences and agreements unless approval has been obtained:

  • Making copies of entire issues or volumes of a monograph or a journal, whether in printed or electronic form.
  • Making copies for commercial gain.
  • Altering, hiding or removing copyright notices or other proprietary marks which appear within or alongside the content.

University Library services

University libraries are open to all readers and there is no need to book unless specified by the individual library. See the University website for updates.

The College Library

See the College website for full information and updates about library provision. 

  1. Membership
    The Library is open to all current members of Christ Church. The modern College Library serves the needs of the college, particularly students of undergraduate taught courses. In addition to its undergraduate taught courses, the Library has significant rare book and manuscript collections, which can be consulted by appointment.
  2. College Library services before the start of Michaelmas Term 2022
    Opening hours (until 0th week) will be from 09:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday.
  3. Library Opening Hours
    The Lower Library is open from Monday 0th Week – Friday 8th Week, from 08:00 – 01:00 daily. Vacation opening hours will be posted on the College website and at the Library enquiry desk. The Library is closed when the College closes for Christmas.  
  4. Upper Library
    All members of Christ Church, alumni and members of other colleges within the University, and all external visitors should apply to visit the historic Upper Library by contacting Library staff in advance. Due to the historic nature of the building, access to the Upper Library is only available via a flight of stairs.
  5. Burn Law Library
    The Burn Law Library is for the use of College members reading for any degree or diploma in Law, and those reading other subjects who require books shelved in the Law Library. Additional rules which govern use of the Law Library are posted there; users must also abide by the general Library rules.
  6. Special Collections
    Anyone interested in the Library’s collection of rare and early printed books and manuscripts should email the Library ( to make an appointment.  Remote consultation of material by MS Teams is also possible. 
  7. Loan Limits
    Resident undergraduates may borrow up to 20 books at a time. Extended book limits are offered to those registered with the Disability Advisory Service (DAS). Graduates may borrow up to 40 books at a time. No book may be transferred from one borrower to another: whoever borrows a book is responsible for that book until its return.
  8. Loan Periods
    During term, undergraduates may borrow a book for 2 weeks. Graduates may borrow a book for the entire term. Readers will be notified when vacation loans begin.
  9. Returns
    It is the responsibility of the borrower to ensure that any book borrowed from the Library is returned via the self-service machines or handed to a member of staff.
  10. Renewals
    Unless recalled, an item may be renewed four times before returning it to the Library. This may be done via the reader’s SOLO account, the self-service machine or the enquiry desk.
  11. Recalls
    Items can be recalled from another reader via SOLO or the enquiry desk. Readers should check email accounts regularly for notifications that a book on their account is needed by another reader. Overdue fines or replacement book costs will be applied if a recalled book is not returned to the Library within the specified time period.
  12. Overdue Items
    A fine of 25p per book per day is applied to any overdue item, to a maximum of £5.00 per item.
  13. Lost and Damaged Books
    Members should take good care of Library books at all times. If a book is lost, please contact Library staff who will advise as to the best means of replacement. No one should write or make marks in Library books. No one should fold over corners or pages, or use paperclips or post-it notes on the pages of the books. Avoid straining the bindings of books; use a bookmark rather than leaving the book open. Please protect books from damage by water, food, and drink. Anyone found to have mistreated or damaged any Library book will be required to pay for a replacement copy and may be disciplined further by the Censors.
  14. Reference-Only Books
    Books printed before 1875 cannot usually be borrowed. Books marked with a red sticker on the spine are confined to the Library.
  15. Personal Belongings
    Personal belongings may be brought into the Main Library and Burn Law Library at the owner’s own risk.  The Library is not responsible for loss of, or damage to, personal property.  Library users are asked not to leave personal belongings unattended in the Library or the Burn Law Library.
  16. Smoking and vaping
    Smoking and vaping are not permitted in any part of College. Anyone who infringes this rule will be reported to, and may be fined by, the Junior Censor.
  17. Food and Drink
    It is forbidden to bring food (including chewing gum) into the Library. Non-alcoholic drinks (hot or cold) can be brought into the Library, but only if they are in a sealed spill-proof container such as a sports bottle, travel mug or keep cup. No drinks of any sort are permitted in the Upper Library. There are water dispensers in the Main Library and Burn Law Library.
  18. Noise
    Please be considerate of other users of the Library and keep conversation to a minimum. Mobile phones should be turned to silent upon entering the Main Library and Burn Library. Library users must not make or receive telephone calls in the Library.

Absence during term time

All undergraduates (whether living in or out of College accommodation) who wish to be absent for one or more nights during Full Term must follow the relevant approval process (which may require the Junior Censor’s permission, to be obtained in all cases via the Academic Office), and, if they live on the main site, must ‘sign out’ at the Lodge, so that the College is informed of their absence for reasons of health and safety. Most absences for one or two nights require only the completion of an absence form available from the main Lodge. Completed forms handed in at the main Lodge will be deemed to have been granted the Junior Censor’s permission to be away, provided:

  1. the applicant is going to be away for no more than two nights or for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights; and
  2. the applicant has not already been away for a total of four or more weekday nights during the term; and
  3. the applicant is not going to miss any compulsory academic obligations such as attendance in person at tutorials during their absence.  

There is no need to seek the Junior Censor’s permission unless the absence proposed falls outside these limits. Any undergraduate who wishes to be absent for a total of more than four weekday nights during the term must obtain written approval from their Tutor before seeking the Junior Censor’s permission. Any undergraduate who would miss compulsory academic obligations during the proposed absence, regardless of its duration, must obtain written approval from their Tutor before seeking the Junior Censor’s permission. 

Graduates: As long as the requirements of academic work and University residence requirements are satisfied, no specific restriction is placed on the number of nights that graduates may be absent during Full Term. However, the Junior Censor should be notified, by means of an absence form or an email to the Academic Office, before leave is taken for those living in College accommodation, in case an emergency arises; and, those living on the main site must ‘sign out’ at the Lodge, so that the College is informed of any absence for reasons of health and safety.

Vacation residence

Permission must be sought for any residence beyond the Saturday at the end of 8th Week or for return prior to the Thursday of 0th Week, by all undergraduates, including Organ Scholars and Academical Clerks. Vacation Residence is subject to satisfactory and timely completion of the relevant forms and the approval of the Junior Censor (via the Academic Office and the Accommodation Office). It may be further influenced by room availability. Furthermore, Christ Church believes that leaving College during each vacation is highly desirable to allow for a period away, and that this will ultimately help with health and academic performance, especially before exams.

Undergraduates will only be permitted to stay up after the end of term if they have compelling academic reasons to do so (which must be supported by a Tutor) or there are other exceptional circumstances. An online Vacation Residence Request Form will be made available on the College network in or before 5th Week, and must be completed and submitted online by the end of 5th Week. Late applications will not be accepted, and all students wishing to stay during the vacation, including those with examinations or Extended Terms, need to complete the Vacation Residence Request Form.

At the end of Michaelmas and Trinity Terms very few rooms are available, due to the other demands including Access events/Open Days and the Gaudy. Members (including Organ Scholars and Academical Clerks, and in particular those resident in Peckwater Quad 1-9; Meadow Building; and Old Library) may need to move rooms, whether they are in standard or en-suite accommodation. Those taking examinations during this period will not usually be asked to move. Parking in College cannot be made available for those arriving outside of normal return dates.

Undergraduates can apply to remain in residence for the following reasons (note that permission to remain in residence does not mean that a vacation residence grant will also be awarded):

  1. Undergraduates sitting University Examinations in weeks 9 and 10 or with an examined piece of work/formal submission (e.g., thesis or project) will normally be permitted to occupy their rooms until the day after their last exam or deadline. Those sitting examinations before the start of term or with a deadline for an examined piece of work on or before the Monday of Week 1 will normally be permitted to arrive in residence 5 days before their first exam or deadline.
  2. Undergraduates with extended terms will also normally be permitted to remain in their usual room.
  3. Undergraduates taking FHS exams will normally be permitted some vacation residence between Week 9 of Hilary Term and Week 0 of Trinity, although Christ Church strongly encourages them to take a break from Oxford during this time for their own wellbeing and there is no expectation that undergraduates should remain in residence during this time.
  4. Students with particular course requirements (to be confirmed by the relevant Senior Subject Tutor or relevant University department) will normally be permitted to remain in Week 9 of each term in their usual room. These are expected to fall into the following categories:
    1. Use of laboratory or hospital facilities;
    2. Use of art studios or musical facilities;
    3. Essential library facilities not accessible remotely;
  5. Organ and Choral Scholars who are required to remain in College during vacations to undertake their duties.
  6. Undergraduates who are estranged or have other compelling welfare reasons.
  7. Overseas undergraduates who are unable to return home will normally be permitted to remain in College, though they may need to move rooms.
  8. Undergraduates who act as helpers for Open Days, other access and admissions events (e.g. school visits and residentials and the undergraduate admissions period when these take place in person, for the telethon, and for Freshers’ Week), though they may need to move rooms.
  9. Students who have other compelling non-academic reasons to be in Oxford outside of term time (e.g., University or College sports matches or training, internships/placements based in Oxford, or other extracurricular activities) may apply to remain in College until one day after their final commitment, although they may need to move rooms and such requests are not guaranteed to be honoured.


Vacation residence grants

Undergraduates who began their courses before Michaelmas Term 2022 are eligible to be considered for a vacation residence grant of up to 28 days per annum if they are remaining in Oxford for academic reasons (i.e. if their request for vacation residence falls under categories 1-4 above).

Undergraduates who begin their course in or after Michaelmas Term 2022 will be eligible to be considered for a vacation residence grant of up to 10 days per annum if they are remaining in Oxford for academic reasons (i.e. if their request for vacation residence falls under categories 1-4 above).

There is no separate application process for Undergraduate Vacation Residence Grants, but students wishing to request use of a grant must submit their online application for vacation residence by the end of 5th week of each term, giving details of the academic purposes for which they are staying in residence in their application. These purposes must cover all dates for which a grant is requested. Verification of this information will then be sought by the Academic Office from the relevant Tutors. Grants will not be awarded to undergraduates who apply for Vacation Residence after the 5th week deadline, or who fail to supply in their application details of a genuine academic need to stay (as detailed in the criteria above).

Vacation Residence Grant applications for beyond the usual maximum allowance made under exceptional circumstances with extenuating conditions will be considered by the Academic Office.

Those wishing to return unexpectedly into residence during any vacation (which should only be in an emergency) must first obtain permission from the Junior Censor via the Academic Office. The Steward’s Assistant and Accommodation Officer (tel. 01865 286580), and where necessary the Manager at Liddell Building (tel. 01865 431100) should also be contacted by telephone or email at least 5 days in advance of the proposed date of return. It is not usually possible to arrange this during College closure periods.

Communication and Consultation

There are well-established procedures for consultation and complaint. Junior Members are represented on the main committees of the Governing Body which consider their interests: Junior Common Room (JCR) and Graduate Common Room (GCR) officers sit on Open Business of Academic Committee, Ball Committee, Communications Committee, Computing Committee, Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Finance Committee, Grants Committee, House Committee, Library & Archives Committee and Welfare Committee, as well as some working parties. In addition, JCR and GCR Officers attend Open Business at meetings of the full Governing Body.

The Censors hold weekly meetings with JCR and GCR representatives during term-time, when a wide range of business is discussed. Members are encouraged to raise matters of general interest and policy, preferably through the relevant representatives on committees, but alternatively with one of the Censors directly. Specific questions and individual complaints should be raised with a Censor, the Welfare Tutor, or the Steward, depending on the nature of the question or complaint. The College will try to respond to justifiable and specific formal complaints. See Section I for details of the College’s Complaints Procedure for Junior Members.

Mail and Email

Students living in College accommodation should check their pigeonholes regularly during Full Term. News and information is also posted on the College website. Undergraduates should also expect the Censors and their Tutors to communicate with them by email and should check their University email account daily during Full Term, and at least weekly during the vacations. After initial registration, email contact will only be made through University email accounts (the address). This is the principal means by which official information on academic and other matters is disseminated by the University and the College. Emails from academic staff, College Officers, and College staff should be read and acted on promptly.

Students must ensure that their contact details, including their mobile phone number and their address out of term time, are kept up to date on Student Self Service.

Computing and Internet


Users of ICT within the University are subject in the first instance to the University ICTC regulations (2002) with subsequent amendments and available for review at:

Christ Church has a statutory duty to have due regard for the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism (The ‘Prevent’ duty under the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015).
Junior Members must not create, download, store or transmit unlawful material, or material that is indecent, offensive, defamatory, threatening, discriminatory or extremist.

Christ Church therefore reserves the right to monitor IT use in order to ensure compliance with the law and the College’s acceptable use policy. Any suspected breaches will be investigated.

Computing Facilities

There is one main computer room in Christ Church; the Graduate Computer Room in Tom 9 (upstairs). 

Printing and scanning facilities are provided in both the Library and the Graduate Computer Room. Charges are advertised by the copiers and charged to battels. Access to the printers is permitted from personal computing equipment; University Cards will be required to retrieve and print submitted jobs (visit for further details).

The facilities are available only to members of Christ Church, who are expected to be careful and considerate. Rules for proper use of the computing facilities (including rules on computer etiquette) are available in the GCR computing rooms.

Local file storage is not provided by the College, and Junior Members should bring a USB disk or sign up for a cloud storage solution such as Dropbox.

Use of computers in College rooms or in any of the Computer Rooms which are connected to the University network must comply with both the College’s and the University’s rules for computer use. A copy of the University’s Rules for Computer Use may be viewed on the University website.  

Computer misuse is a serious matter, and disciplinary action may be taken against any Junior Member for breach of the rules.

In addition to the general prohibition on smoking and vaping, users must not eat or drink in the Computing Rooms.

IT Staff

Mr Simon Thomson is Head of the Joint Information Communications Technology Service (JICTS) for Christ Church and Pembroke. Mr Andrew Middleton is the Deputy. The team can be found in one of two IT Offices: Schools Quad, (to the right of the Lee Building) in Christ Church, and to the left of the Lodge in Pembroke. The Computing Office is open 09:00 – 13:00 and 14:00 – 17:00 Monday to Friday for drop-in support. IT problems may be reported by email to: or, alternatively, by telephone: (2)86001. Professor Matthias Holweg is the Senior Computing Officer for Christ Church to whom any unresolved IT matters should be referred.

Accessing the internet

Christ Church provides a wireless infrastructure to fulfil all the connectivity requirements for those living and working on campus. Ethernet (wired) connections are no longer possible and any equipment will need to be wireless enabled. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless connectivity is provided. Internet access is provided via the CHCH-Members or eduroam wireless networks.

Wireless is available throughout the College. To configure your device to connect to the internet, connect to CHCH-Members using your college credentials. Once connected, open a web browser and try to visit to confirm you have connected. We require you to have an up-to-date operating system and anti-virus software on your machine. The university provides free anti-virus software for all its members which can be found here.

Like most colleges and departments, Christ Church also broadcasts the eduroam internet service. Note that the IT team cannot monitor this network for errors in the same way as CHCH-Members. Eduroam often reaches capacity in the evenings and can perform much slower than the maximum speed. For these reasons it is recommended that Junior Members use CHCH-Members where possible but configure eduroam as a backup. Locations to reset your password are:

These services can be remotely activated as soon as the Christ Church contract is processed and SSO account activation details are received by the Junior Member.

No unauthorised person is permitted to use any connection to the College and/or the University network, and members will be deemed responsible for any breach of College or University rules by anyone using a computer in their rooms to whom they have given access.

The downloading of copyrighted material using BitTorrent or similar programs is routinely monitored on behalf of Oxford University Computing Services, who will automatically suspend internet access from the IP address used for this purpose. A penalty of £50 is automatically imposed in such cases, and there may be further disciplinary action by the Junior Censor. 

Connection of any other device allowing wireless access to the College network (e.g. using a computer as an access point) is also prohibited.

Antivirus and software update requirements

It is important to protect all computers (including Macs) against viruses, and protection software (Sophos) is freely available from the University’s IT service. Please note that any infected machines may be quarantined automatically from the network, meaning that they will no longer be able to access University information and resources until the issue is resolved.

Interference from student-owned wireless devices

Wireless devices that cause interference with the College wireless infrastructure are expressly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to:

  1. wireless routers and bridges;
  2. wireless printers (permitted if wireless is disabled); and
  3. personal wireless hotspots.

Anyone attempting to attach such devices to either the College or University network is liable both to a fine and to permanent confiscation of the router. Tampering with College network equipment such as routers, switches, wireless access points, and cables is also prohibited.

Games consoles and other devices

The CHCH-IoT network can be used for College members’ devices which cannot provide enterprise level security, which is a requirement for CHCH-Members and Eduroam Wi-Fi. This can include games consoles, Smart TVs, Alexa’s, Firesticks, Google Home and other Internet of things (IoT) devices. Games consoles are permitted for use on the College IoT network; instructions for connection can be found on the College website.

College and University Website

Christ Church website

The Christ Church website ( holds information about the College and the Cathedral, some intended for members of the public. The section for ‘Current Students’ ( includes information on Examinations, Health and Welfare, Financial Support, and Study Skills intended for Junior Members. A guide to navigating these pages will be circulated by email at the start of the new academic year. Members with relevant content, updates, amendments, or notices appropriate for the website are encouraged to contact the Website Manager, Mr Mark Hook:

Oxford University Website and Student Gateway

The Oxford University website ( offers an extensive range of online resources, including documents, information and forms, to be found and downloaded as required. The site also has links to other online facilities, such as Nexus 365, and a Contacts Search page. Junior Members should use the Student Self Service portal to access their student record, required for Student Registration, to print an enrolment certificate, complete exam entries, and book a degree ceremony.

University Student Handbook

The University Student Handbook is a key document which should be read by all students before their arrival. It is updated every year.

University Examinations

The rules governing University Examinations are detailed in Section 7 of the University Student Handbook, which can be found on the University website. General information about, and procedures for, University exams and assessments (including submissions) can also be found on the University website.  

Entering Names for University Examinations

All Junior Members (including those who are suspended) are responsible for ensuring that they are entered correctly for their examinations by the deadline for entries. Information on examination entry dates is available from the University website. Examination Entry is completed online via Student Self Service. If Junior Members need to select the options they wish to take for their examinations (exam entry for core/compulsory modules is automatic), they will be sent an email when the examination entry window opens asking them to log into Student Self Service. Junior Members must complete their examination entry by the date given in the email; if they do not, they will be required to pay a late entry fee in order to make their examination entry. A fee is also payable if a Change of Option is requested after the deadline.

Examination Arrangements

If alternative examination arrangements are required (these may be due to a disability or medical condition, or on grounds of religious observance), an application for Alternative Examination Arrangements needs to be made via the Academic Office, usually following consultation with the University’s Disability Advisory Service. Details on possible Alternative Arrangements can be found on the University website.

Some alternative arrangements can be managed by the Examinations Schools, such as the use of a computer or extra writing time; other arrangements, for example non-standard arrangements, will mean University Examinations need to be taken in College.

Junior Members who believe they may need alternative arrangements must contact the Academic Office by no later than Friday of 4th Week of the term preceding their examinations. If a Specific Learning Disability assessment is required, the Disability Advisory Service will arrange this and advise the College on the necessary arrangements. Christ Church’s contact is Pauline Graham. The DAS will also offer guidance on what support can be provided for individual studies. It is best to contact the Disability Advisory Service as early as possible in the year so assessments can be arranged; requests for alternative arrangements should usually be made no later than the Friday of 4th Week of the term before the examinations are due to take place.

Examination arrangements approved for University Examinations will also be applied to College examinations.

If last minute alternative arrangements are required for examinations, for example due to an injury, contact the Academic Office as soon as possible. A medical certificate (ideally from the College Doctor) is required explicitly stating any necessary arrangements.

Mitigating circumstances notices to examiners (MCE)

If any Junior Member feels that their examination preparation or performance in examinations has been seriously affected by extenuating circumstances, such as illness or bereavement, they can submit a Mitigating Circumstances notification via Student Self-Service.

Junior Members may contact the Academic Office for advice about making this application. If the examinations were affected by illness or other medical reasons, a medical certificate, ideally from the College Doctor, will be needed to support the application.

Missing an Examination

If any Junior Member has to miss an examination due to illness or other urgent cause, they should contact the Academic Office as soon as possible on the day of the examination so that they can make the Examinations Schools aware.

The Academic Office will need to submit an application to the Proctors for the Junior Member’s non-appearance at the examination to be excused. A medical note will be needed to support this application, so arrangements should be made to see a doctor as soon as possible.

Failure of First or Second Public Examination

In all subjects, passing First Public Examinations is a prerequisite for entry for Final Schools.

Undergraduates are expected to pass First Public Examinations in their entirety at the earliest possible moment. Depending on the subject, First Public Examinations take the form of Honour Moderations (in which results are classified), or Moderations or Preliminary Examinations (which are not classified). For details see the Examination Regulations. Undergraduates are expected to pass their Honour Moderations at the first attempt, and they are expected to pass Moderations or Preliminary Examinations after at most two attempts and in any case before beginning their second year of residence; pre-clinical medics are also expected to pass both parts of the First BM examinations after at most two attempts and in any case before beginning their third year of residence.

Those who do not pass examinations may have to be suspended from their studies. Junior Members must ensure that they check their course Examination Regulations regarding failure of examinations or assessments and re-sits.

Illegible Scripts

Examiners are not bound to take account of illegible material and may return examination scripts with a request that the College make arrangements for the candidate to dictate the script to a typist in the presence of an invigilator. The costs of the typing and invigilation will be charged to the candidate. Arrangements for transcription are time-consuming, and it is recommended that, if Junior Members are concerned about their handwriting, they liaise with their Tutor about steps they can take to help improve their handwriting before they are due to sit examinations.

College Examinations (Collections)

Collections (i.e. practice/mock examinations arranged by colleges) are set at the start of each term for most undergraduates to check the progress of studies pursued in both term-time and vacations, and to provide practice for subsequent University examinations. Undergraduates are expected to achieve standards in these Collections appropriate to Oxford requirements and their own abilities (see Academic Obligations). Those who do not do so may be set additional Collections. Book token prizes are awarded each term for excellent performance in Collections. The Academic Office is responsible for Collections arrangements.  

College Awards and Prizes

Awards and prizes made to current Junior Members will be credited to battels. Awards and prizes made to Junior Members after they have left the College will be paid via bank transfer once all final charges have been cleared. 

Scholarships and Exhibitions

Undergraduates are admitted to the first year as Commoners; thereafter they may be elected as Scholars or Exhibitioners for academic achievement, and become entitled to a Scholar’s gown and financial reward. Scholarships of £300 p.a. and Exhibitions of £200 p.a. are awarded at the beginning of each academic year (and occasionally at other times) for high-quality work in the preceding year. They may be renewed for succeeding years if the standard of work is maintained.

Scholars and Exhibitioners should note that their awards will be continued only if the Governing Body is satisfied with their work and general conduct; a serious review of their work, as of that of all undergraduates, is made at the end of each term, and particular attention may be given to performance in Moderations, Preliminary Examinations and College Collections.

College Book Prizes for Performance in University Examinations

A £130 book prize (in the form of a voucher) is awarded to each undergraduate who has been placed in the First Class in any Final Honour School.

A £80 book prize is awarded to each undergraduate who has been placed in the First Class in Honour Moderations, or who obtains a Distinction in Moderations or in any Preliminary Examination.

A £80 book prize may be awarded to any undergraduate who, in the opinion of the Governing Body, has done work of distinction in a Preliminary Examination in which no Distinction can be awarded by the examiners.

The Academic Office contacts those eligible for prizes after examination results are announced.

Other Prizes

In addition to the Prizes mentioned above, the following College Awards and Prizes are offered. Holders of these Awards and Prizes do not thereby hold the status of Scholar or Exhibitioner, nor are they thereby entitled to the privileges of a Scholar or Exhibitioner (such as wearing the Scholar’s gown). Further information regarding these awards and prizes may be obtained from Tutors or from the Academic Office.

The Ancient History Prize of £130 is awarded in Trinity Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Ancient History.

The Anne Campbell Scholarship, given by Emily Campbell (ChCh 1990) in memory of her late mother, is awarded annually by the Governing Body on the recommendation of the Law Tutors to the best Christ Church law graduate who remains at Christ Church, or returns to Christ Church, in order to study for the BCL or MJur. The Scholarship is of the value of £500, together with (unless they are covered by other Scholarship funding or any other award) payment of the Scholar’s College fees for the BCL/MJur.

The W. H. Auden Prize of up to £600 is awarded in Michaelmas Term for a piece of creative writing in English following a competition advertised the previous Trinity Term.

Clifford Smith Prizes: Two Clifford Smith Prizes of £130 are awarded in Hilary Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Natural Science subjects other than Medicine.

One Clifford Smith prize of £130 is awarded in Hilary Term on the recommendation of the Tutor in Music.

These prizes are open to members of the House taking the Final Schools in the year of election, and are tenable with any Scholarship or Exhibition of the House.

The Collie Prize of £130 is awarded on the recommendation of the Tutors in Physics. It is open to members of the House in their second year reading the Final Honour School of Physics.

Dixon Scholarships of up to £300, normally tenable for only one year, are awarded at the beginning of Michaelmas Term to returning graduate students who were awarded Firsts in undergraduate Final Honour Schools at Christ Church.

The Dukes Prize of £130, for proficiency in French, is awarded after examination in Michaelmas Term. Any undergraduate of the House whose native language is not French may be a candidate.

The Dundas Prize of £300 is awarded in Trinity Term to an undergraduate of the House for travel abroad. In accordance with the donor’s wishes, preference is given to classical students in making the award, but the purpose of the travel need not be classical research.

Boulter and Bostock Prizes:  Four Boulter Prizes of £200 each, tenable for one year, are awarded in Hilary Term based on the results of Collections in Law, History, English, and PPE.

Two Bostock Prizes of £200 each, tenable for one year, are awarded in Hilary Term after examinations in Natural Science subjects and Mathematics. A Boulter or Bostock Prize are open only to Commoners, and may not be awarded twice to the same person in the same subject.

The Keith Feiling Prize of £130 is awarded in Hilary Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Modern History. It is open to members of the House taking the Final Schools in the year of election and is tenable with any scholarship or exhibition of the House.

Two J. L. Field Prizes of £300 are awarded in Trinity Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Modern History and Literae Humaniores. They are open to Commoners in their second year, for the purpose of travel abroad.

The Gladstone Prize of £200 is awarded to a Member of the House who has submitted the best BA Thesis in the Honour School of Modern History, or PPE, or Geography.

William Gurney Travel Prizes: William John Surman Gurney, former Commoner of the House who matriculated in 1935, made a benefaction in 1985 from which Gurney Travel Prizes are awarded. The prizes are for travel for academic or cultural purposes in Europe, Asia, North Africa, and South America. The prizes (of up to £1,500) are awarded in Trinity Term each year. Members of Christ Church reading for an Honour School are eligible for prizes in the Long Vacation before they sit Final Examinations. Information about how to apply for the prize will be circulated by email in Hilary Term each year.

Two Ida Mary Henderson Scholarships of £150 each, normally tenable for one year but in special circumstances renewable for a second, are awarded on the recommendation of the Tutors in Medicine. These scholarships are open primarily to members of the House in the clinical stage of their medical training.

The Hooke Prize of up to £130 is awarded annually by the Governing Body to the most outstanding undergraduate across the following branches of Science: Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics. The most outstanding undergraduate will normally be the person placed proportionately highest in an appropriate Honour School (including in a joint School with Philosophy).

Two Myles Frisby Sports Travel Grants of up to £500 are awarded annually in Trinity Term to Junior Members for travel relating to university sport in the past academic year. Applicants must be travelling to compete at a national level in their chosen sport; or applicants must be travelling for sport-related volunteering.

The John V. Lovitt Prize of £130 is awarded in Trinity Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Jurisprudence. It is open to members of the House reading Jurisprudence who are in their penultimate year.

The Luke Prize of £300 is awarded annually by the Governing Body in Michaelmas Term to the member of the House who performed best in the German Literature papers of the Final Honour School of Modern Languages or associated joint schools.

The Francesco Palla Memorial Prize of £300 is awarded for the best performance by a fourth year finalist in Astrophysics.

The Roger Prentice Prize of £300 is awarded in Trinity Term. It is open to all undergraduates, with a preference for those reading Chemistry, for travel abroad.

The John Radcliffe Prize of £130 is awarded in Michaelmas Term to the member of the House whom the Governing Body considers to have performed best in the Final Honour School of Jurisprudence.

The Roach Prize of up to £750 is awarded to the most outstanding undergraduate across the following branches of Science: Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics. The most outstanding undergraduate will normally be the person placed proportionately highest in an appropriate Honour School (including in a joint School with Philosophy).

The Stanley Robinson Prize of £130 is awarded in Hilary Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Literae Humaniores. It is open to members of the House taking the Final Schools in the year of election and is tenable with any scholarship or exhibition of the House.

The Sadler Prize of £130 is awarded in Michaelmas Term to a member of the House who wins a place in the Foreign Service of the United Kingdom.

The Stahl Prize of £130, for German language or literature, is awarded in Trinity Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Modern Languages. It is open to first- and second-year members of the House reading Modern Languages whose native language is not German.

The Stahl Travel Prize of £300 is awarded in Trinity Term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Modern Languages, PPE, and Modern History. It is open to first- and second-year undergraduates reading those subjects, to assist with travel or residence for study purposes in Germany or Austria.

Three E. T. Warner Prizes of £130 are awarded in Hilary Term; one on the recommendation of the Tutors in English, one on the recommendation of the Tutors in PPE, and one on the recommendation of the Tutors in Geography. They are open to members of the House taking the Final Schools in the year of election and are tenable with any Scholarship or Exhibition of the House.

The Philip Wetton Travel Fund will allow for up to £400 in total to be allocated to enable travel abroad for students of Russian or other Slavonic languages.

The Edward Wright Prize of up to £200 is awarded annually in Michaelmas term on the recommendation of the Tutors in Mathematics and Computer Science. It is awarded for an essay or project (which may include computer-based work) on a subject in Mathematics and Computer Science.

William Ewald Instrumental Exhibitions: one (in rare cases two) £80 book vouchers are awarded by competition and audition in Michaelmas Term which is open to all undergraduates in their first year. The award holders are also awarded a grant of up to £100 p.a. for three years towards the cost of instrumental tuition.

Degree Days/Graduation

Members of the House who qualify for a degree may have it conferred in person or in absentia on one of the University’s prescribed Degree Days.  Details of the fees, procedure, dress and dates of Degree Days are provided on the Christ Church website. Graduands and their guests are offered appropriate hospitality.

Taught course students usually receive an email invitation in November of their final year inviting them to log into their Student Self Service portal in order to book their degree ceremony. Research students usually receive an email invitation with information about booking a degree ceremony once they have been granted leave to supplicate. Further information is available on the University website.

The Oxford MA may be conferred 21 terms after Matriculation. In Oxford, the status of Master of Arts is a mark of seniority within the University. The Oxford MA allows students to reach a new status within the University but is not an upgrade of their BA or an additional qualification. It is awarded without further study and therefore has no subject or class.