The information below outlines some of the procedures relating to university examinations, including what you need to do if you need to extend deadlines due to illness, need alternative examination arrangements or are ill during your examinations.

The Academic Office deals with examinations, so please contact them if you have any queries or wish to discuss any concerns you may have.

The University website also provides essential guidance on sitting your examinations, including information on wearing sub-fusc and the items you must take in with you.

Examinations - concertina

Examination Entry

Examination Entry for your optional assessment units is done online via your Student Self-Service.

You will be emailed when your Examination Entry window is open and you must complete your entry before your Examination Entry window closes; this date will be stated on the email and on your Student Self-Service.

If you do not complete the Examination Entry by the deadline, you will need to pay a Late Entry Fee of £60 via the University’s Online Shop before you will be able to submit your entry.

Changing your Options

You can change your option choices via your Student Self-Service whilst your Examination Entry window is open.

Once your Examination Entry window is closed, you will need to complete a Change of Options form, available from the Academic Office and pay a £60 Change of Option Fee via the University’s Online Shop.

If you have entered for any additional assessments, but later decide not to take them, you should inform the Academic Office as soon as possible and they will inform the Academic Records Office. If you do not do this before the examination date, or the submission date for essays or theses, then you may be charged a change of option fee.

Examination Timetables

The University website includes a list of provisional start times for examinations, listed as the week commencing.

If you think that you will have a clash with the university examinations and any specific religious observances, you should make an application for alternative examination arrangements, via the Academic Office by the end of Michaelmas Term. This will allow for your requirements to be taken into account when the examinations are timetabled by the University Examinations Team. If your requirements cannot be accommodated in your timetable, then the Academic Office can make a further alternative arrangements application for you to sit your examinations at another time in college.

Official timetables are published on the University website later in the academic year. Your personal timetable showing your papers and the dates, times and location at which they will take place will be published online at least two weeks before your first examination.

Extension of Deadlines

If, due to a medical or other reason, you think that you will not meet a submission deadline for an essay or a theses you need to discuss this with your Tutor as soon as possible.

An application to extend your deadline can be made to the Proctors’ Office by the Academic Office. If the need for an extension to a deadline is for medical reasons, a doctor’s note will also need to be provided to support the application.

If you fail to meet a deadline, and have not had an extension approved by the Proctors, the Examiners may impose an academic penalty.

Examination Arrangements

If you require alternative examination arrangements, such as extra time, use of a computer, or rest time, due to a Specific Learning Disability or other disability, then an application for Alternative Examination Arrangements needs to be made via the Academic Office.

Some alternative arrangements can be managed by the Examinations Schools, such as the use of a computer or extra time; other arrangements, for example rest time or non-standard arrangements, may mean you need to take your examinations in college.

You should initially contact the Disability Advisory Service (DAS), who will talk through your requirements and advise the college on what arrangements you need for your examinations. Christ Church has a designated Disability Officer at the Disability Advisory Service, Pauline Graham. Christ Church also has a designated staff member who works with students with mental health conditions, Suzi Hughes.

If you need an SpLD assessment, the DAS will arrange this for you and will also offer guidance on what support you can get for your studies.  It is best to contact the Disability Advisory Service as early as possible in the year, so if you do need assessments these can be arranged; requests for alternative arrangements should usually be made no later than the Friday of Week 4 of the term before the examinations are due to take place.

Examination arrangements approved for University examinations will also be applied to college Collections.

If you require last-minute alternative arrangements for your examinations, for example due to an injury, you should contact the Academic Office as soon as possible. You will need to provide a medical note which explicitly states what arrangements you will need.

Taking Medication into Examinations

If you need to take medication, for example inhalers or prescription medication, food or drink for medical reasons, or medical aids such as wrist splints or back support pillows, into your examinations you can do so if you take a signed letter from the College with you to each examination. Please contact the Academic Office in good time to request a letter.

Mitigating circumstances notices to examiners (MCE)

If you feel that your examination preparation or performance in your examinations has been affected by a medical or personal issue, you can submit a mitigating circumstances notice to your examiners via the Academic Office. See the University website page on Problems completing your assessment for details.

You should contact the Academic Office for advice in the first instance and consult the Examination Regulations and Consideration of mitigating circumstances by examiners guidance. You will need to complete a statement outlining the circumstances and how they have impacted your examinations for the Examiners to consider. If your examinations were affected by illness or other medical reasons, you will also need to provide a doctor’s note to support your application.

Applications for MCE should be submitted via the Academic Office as soon as possible after you have sat your examinations, and must be submitted before your examination is marked. Applications made after results are known are not usually forwarded to the examiners, except in exceptional circumstances.

Missing an Examination

If you have to miss an examination due to illness, you should contact the Academic Office as soon as possible on the day of the examination so that they can contact the Examinations Schools so they know you will not be attending.

The Academic Office will need to submit an application to the Proctors for your non-appearance at the examination to be excused. A medical note will be needed to support this application, so you should arrange to see a doctor as soon as possible.

Withdrawing from Examinations

If you think you need to withdraw from all your examinations, then you should initially discuss this with your Tutor or the Senior Censor. The Academic Office will require a doctor’s note if you wish to withdraw on medical grounds.

If it is decided that withdrawal from examinations is the right option for you, then the Academic Office should be informed as soon as possible, so the withdrawal can be processed.

Withdrawing from examinations must be done before the end of the last examination you should be sitting, otherwise your non-attendance would be considered to be a fail and you may not be allowed to sit them at a later date. 

Examination Regulations

Examination Regulations can be found on the main University website.