Postdoctoral Access Fellow (Outreach for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Groups and Student Support)

Fixed-Term Contract

Christ Church invites applications for a fixed-term Postdoctoral Access Fellow (Outreach for Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic Groups and Student Support). The appointment is available for a period of three years from 01 October 2021. This fixed-term post is an excellent opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher to develop their academic career, while also contributing to the College’s outreach and student support initiatives. The role is intended to provide a time-limited period of training and development and therefore the appointment carries with it no expectation of permanent employment at Christ Church.

The newly appointed Fellow will contribute 60% of their time to the College’s access and student support work; focussing on initiatives aiming to support pupils from Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic groups and student support aimed at Christ Church undergraduate students. The remaining 40% of their time will be dedicated to their academic career development through research.

The successful candidate will be entitled to a salary of £23,754 plus £10,000 accommodation allowance per annum, and will also be entitled to seven free lunches and seven free dinners per week, when available in College, as well as membership of the Senior Common Room.

Applicants will be required to hold a doctorate or be able to confirm submission of their doctoral thesis by the application deadline; have a coherent research plan for the period of the role, which can either be the further development of the doctoral work or an entirely new area and which promises to make a valuable contribution to their field; experience of higher education access and outreach work with an enthusiasm for promoting wider access to Christ Church and to the University of Oxford; understanding of experiences of and barriers faced by students from Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic groups, for example through volunteer or work experience, or community engagement; and excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to engage and inspire students and build relationships with teachers and community groups.

Further particulars, including instructions about how to apply, may be downloaded from https://fas.chch.ox.ac.uk/fas_live/chchpdaf/. The deadline for applications is noon on Thursday 5th August 2021. Interviews are expected to be held w.c 30th August 2021.

Christ Church is committed to equality and we value the diversity of our staff and students. Applications are particularly welcome from women and black and minority ethnic candidates, who are under-represented in college staff at Christ Church.

It is our policy and practice that entry into employment and progression within employment will be determined only by criteria which are related to the duties of a particular post and the relevant salary scale. No applicant or member of staff will be treated less favourably than another because of their age, disability, ethnicity, marital or civil partnership status, parental status, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.