The map collection located in Christ Church Library and Archives is probably among the least known in Oxford. It includes such treasures as Martin Llewellyn's 1598 Atlas of the East ( a volume unknown to map historians for over three and a half centuries, it constitutes the earliest sea atlas by an Englishman), the 1612 Plan of the site of the Castle, showing Sellion’s House, the Jews’ Mount, houses in Castle Ditch and the West Gate of the City, Frederick Young's 1818 Plan of the Parish of Hawkhurst in the County of Kent (a masterpiece of cartographic art which also serves a practical role as a graphic inventory of land use) and Benjamin Badcock's 1829 Plan of estates in the University, City and Suburbs of Oxford belonging to Christ Church.
Young, Frederick [cartographer]
Shelfmark: Archives Maps Hawkhurst 2
A masterpiece of cartographic art which also serves a practical role as a graphic inventory of land use. Unfortunately, the written survey which should accompany the map no longer survives.
Oxford, Cowley 1777 - A Survey of an Estate, Belonging to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, lying in the Parish of Cowley
Chapman, W. [cartographer]
Shelfmark: Archives Maps Cowley 1
Shelfmark: Archives Maps Oxford (St Thomas) 4