BA Music (Oxford, 1985); BMus (Oxford, 1986); MA (Oxford, 1989); BA Theology (Durham, 1993); Hon ARSCM (2008); Hon FGCM (2010)
I joined Christ Church in August 2023 from the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, where I was based in Stornoway and served as Episcopalian priest to the Isle from 2019. Before this I was Canon Residentiary and Precentor of York Minster from 2010, where I oversaw the Music Department and shared in the governance of the Minster. I read Music at Merton College, Oxford, and have written several books on Church Music, as well as acting as Secretary to the Liturgical Commission.
- Ordained deacon (1993), priest (1994)
- Assistant Curate, Parish of Whitby (Diocese of York) (1993–95)
- Precentor, Sacrist and Minor Canon, Ely Cathedral (1995–2000)
- Vicar, St Mary the Virgin, Godmanchester (Diocese of Ely) (2001–05)
- National Worship Development Officer (National Church Institutions) (2005–10)
- Secretary to the Liturgical Commission (National Church Institutions) (2009–10)
- Canon Residentiary and Precentor, York Minster (2010–19)
- Acting Dean of York (2018–19)
- Canon Emeritus of York (2019–)
- Priest-in-Charge, St Peter Stornoway and St Moluag Eoropaidh (Diocese of Argyll and The Isles) (2019–23)
- Sub Dean and Canon Residentiary, Christ Church Cathedral (2023–)
Responsibilities at Christ Church
The Sub Dean oversees the life and worship of Christ Church Cathedral. As a key member of the Cathedral’s Chapter, I have delegated responsibility from the Dean for day-to-day management of the Cathedral, and I serve as Vice Chair of Governors of the Cathedral School.